These might be the best healthy breakfast treats I have made in awhile! These are a MUST for cozy holiday mornings – super easy and don’t require a zillion ingredients. My husband and I had to restrain ourselves from inhaling these little flavor bombs in one sitting. They are what cinnamon sugar dreams are made of! Pure Indulgent without the guilt. Kid friendly recipe too 🙂
I recently got the opportunity to try out Swerve Sweetener which is also a local New Orleans company. If you aren’t familiar with Swerve is a delicious natural sweetener that measures cup-for-cup just like sugar! Swerve is made from ingredients found in select fruits and starchy root vegetables, and contains no artificial ingredients, preservatives or flavors. It’s zero-calorie, non-glycemic and safe for those living with diabetes, since it has no effect on blood glucose or insulin levels. Swerve comes in granulated and confectioners for all of your holiday baking needs! I highly recommend giving it a try!
*It is quite a bit sweeter than regular sugar, so I would start by adding 1/2 the amount of swerve that a recipe calls for regular sugar.
Cinnamon ‘Sugar’ Donut Holes with Vanilla Almond Butter Frosting
1¼ cups blanched almond flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp Swerve granulated sweetener
¼ cup pumpkin puree or mashed ripe banana (I used pumpkin)
1 egg, at room temp
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted (divided, 1 tbsp for coating)
½ tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup Swerve Granulated
1 tsp cinnamon
Vanilla Almond COnutButter Frosting
½ Cup Pure Sea Salt COnutButter (Maple Cinnamon would be amazing, too!)
½ stick unsalted butter, softened
2-4 tbsp almond milk, or any milk/milk alternative (may need to add more depending on how thick you want your ‘frosting’)
½ cup – 3/4 cup Swerve Confectioners’ sugar, to taste (I used 1/2 cup)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease a mini muffin tin.
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, salt, swerve and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, pumpkin puree or mashed banana, 2 tbsp of the coconut oil and vanilla.
- Combine the wet mixture with the almond flour mixture until well incorporated.
- Fill each mini muffin cup with about one tablespoon of batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Once a toothpick pulls clean allow the donut holes to cool completely and remove from the pan/mold.
- Combine the granulated swerve and 1 tsp of cinnamon in a bowl.
- Using a pastry brush, coat each donut hole with a small amount of melted coconut oil then toss in the cinnamon ‘sugar’ mix.
- In another bowl, combine frosting ingredients until well incorporated. Best if all ingredients are at room temperature.
- Drizzle each donut with COnuButter Frosting, or use as a dip for donuts! Enjoy!
Makes 12-15 Donut Holes